Question:

From Brookville, USA:

My husband's routine physical showed a count of 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L]. A second test was ordered where the count was 131 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. Two hours after eating, the count was 118 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L]. Everything I read in books and online states that the fasting blood sugar should be below 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] and the post fasting blood sugar below 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]. What does it mean if your post fasting blood sugar is considerably lower? Do these readings signify diabetes or are they too low? Can any damage made to the organs/body be reversed with diet and exercise?

Answer:

The post-prandial glucoses are acceptable. The other two are not indicated whether they are fasting. However, if they are fasting, they indicate a glucose intolerance. The initial treatment is diet and exercise and many individuals can be controlled with these modalities. I would talk to his physician and by controlling the glucose, you can prevent any complications.

ABS

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2