Question:

From India:

I am taking Metformin, 500 mg twice in day, for borderline diabetes. Which type of laboratory test should be done periodically over and above blood sugar? Our doctor takes only two minutes for us. Is it possible that borderline diabetes is reversible if obesity is reason? My current weight is 102 kilograms (about 224 pounds).

Answer:

Losing weight and limiting obesity is one treatment to improving glucose control and maintaining improved health. The test, in addition to glucoses, is a Hemoglobin A1c level. This will indicate control over an three month period. A weight of 102 kilograms (about 224 pounds) definitely can lead to glucose intolerance, diabetes and dysmetabolic syndrome with increased risk of heart disease.

ABS

Posted to Type 2