From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

Sometimes when my blood sugars are very high, over 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L], my calves tend to get very tight and crampy. Why is this? Is it because of poor circulation? Once my sugars start to drop, the cramps go away. Any ideas on why this happens?

This may have to do with electrolytes that change when your sugar goes very high. Amounts of calcium and potassium may change with rising blood sugars. The best way to address this is to prevent high excursions of your blood sugar. I would speak with your physician on ways to improve your control and prevent the high sugars.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Aches and Pains