From Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA:

My seven year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. He had milk protein allergies when he was an infant. I eliminated all milk from my diet while breast feeding and he was milk-product free until two years ago when I slowly added back milk products. I am an RD (registered dietitian) and a CDE and remember reading research connecting milk protein allergies and islet cell destruction. The thought was that the proteins were so similar structurally that the bovine serum antigens could attack the islet cells. Now, my son is honeymooning and I am worried about continuing milk products in case I am causing faster islet cell destruction. I haven't had time to research this further. Do you have any information about this?

I am aware of no data and certainly no trials on the question. The variables that compete would make a controlled clinical trial quite difficult.

Posted to Honeymoon