Question:

From Sanford, North Carolina, USA:

I am 33 year old female. I have been a type 1 diabetic since 1990. I started using the insulin pump in August of 2003. I am losing weight. I was 128 pounds when started and now I am down to 114 pounds. People keep commenting about my weight loss. I do not want to look like a bone. Is it normal to lose instead of gain?

Answer:

You may lose weight if the pump proves to be more efficient in delivering insulin so that your total insulin dose is decreased, compared to when you were receiving intermittent insulin injections. The trend is for people to actually gain weight with improved control.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Insulin Pumps