Question:

From Texas, USA:

My fructosamine level was abnormal on the low side. I was provided a free laboratory result from my homeowner's insurance company. What dose the fructosamine level mean or indicate? I understand it's use for monitoring diabetes. Can you provide more information from a preventative perspective?

Answer:

If your fructosamine was abnormal on the low side that means your glucose level was exceptional. The fructosamine test is a test that measures a different type of glycosylated protein, where the hemoglobin A1c is another type of glycosylated protein. The fructosamine allows assessment of the mean glucose level over the previous two weeks, whereas the hemoglobin A1c measures the mean glucose level over the previous three months. You can see that the three month period is a more helpful measurement of long-term control.