Question:

From Pune Mnaharashtra, India:

My father is a type 1 diabetic using insulin injections and tablets for last 10 years. He is overweight and 65 years old. He was hospitalized eight months ago because his left foot started oozing watery pus. The doctors gave antibiotics and some creams to apply. The pus stopped oozing, but the foot was swollen and there was no sensation. He was advised to use stockings. Still today, the condition is not improved. There is small hole near the ankle from which the pus oozes out. The doctors are thinking of amputation. Is there any medication available to avoid amputation? I had heard that in the United States, some doctors have use leeches to hasten the recovery process. Is it true? Is anyone doing research on it?

Answer:

I would not put any trust in leeches at this time. The problem may be that the infection runs deep into the foot. The infection, even on antibiotics, will not heal unless the pus is removed. Your father needs a good surgeon to manage his foot. I hope it does not come to amputation. That should be a last resort. Good control of blood sugars is also a helpful supportive treatment.

Posted to Complications and Other