Question:

From Goshen, Ohio, USA:

Recently, I ate some chocolate that contained sugar alcohol. I was told that it wouldn't hurt me. I check my sugar daily. A couple days after eating the chocolate, my sugar went up to 280 to 300 mg/dl [15.6 to 16.7 mmol/L]. It has taken me about three weeks to get my sugar back to 180 to 200 mg/dl [10.0 to 11.1 mmol/L] Was it the sugar alcohol that caused my sugar to jump? If so, what can I eat in place of that?

Answer:

It's all about portion sizes. Although food containing sugar alcohol takes longer to break down into sugar in your blood than sugar (sucrose) itself, it is still a form of sugar and the portion size should be limited. You didn't say how much you ate and how many grams of carbohydrates it contained. Please read the labels carefully. Every 15 grams of total carbohydrates is one serving.

JS

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Meal Planning, Food and Diet