From Greensburg, Indiana, USA:

We are low income. My son will turn 19 soon and he is still in school. We don't have any insurance coverage. He has been diabetic for 10 years now and has been covered by Indiana Medicaid, but because he is turning 19, his coverage will end at the end of April. He has a pump the insurance bought for him, but we cannot afford to buy his supplies. Do you have any suggestion on where to get help?

This is not just something he can stop taking and I don't know where to turn. I would appreciate any suggestion soon. I have been working with a woman with the insurance company since before Christmas to get pump supplies because the supplier quit supplying us because the amount they were being reimbursed and now I'm running out of time on that, too. He is reusing some of those supplies already. The woman told me that with the insurance, he could be switched over to some other insurance when this ran out months ago and now she says there is nothing to change him to. We are less than a month from him losing insurance.

Your son should apply for Medicaid on his own; an individual application. If this does not work, contact the local free clinic or county health department to see if they can assist your son in obtaining daily supplies. The last choice is for your son to find some type of employment that offers health insurance.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, CWD Founder and Editor:

You should also read about Supplies for CWDF.

Posted to Insurance/Costs