Question:

From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

I am 23 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since I was nine. I had pretty good control over my blood sugars until I left for college. After my freshman year, I was diagnosed with anorexia. I was previously overweight. My blood sugars were the best that they have ever been during this time. About a year later, I began to binge on any kind of junk food that I could find. My blood sugars went wild and the weight packed on. I then took up purging. My life went out of control. I left college and went into treatment. Between fall of 2001 and summer of 2002, I spent time in three treatment clinics in three states. I started cutting out doses of insulin and eventually went into severe DKA. That was 1 1/2 years ago, and I am still a mess and overweight again. I am so terrified that I will not live to see my 25th birthday. I saw my doctor today where he mentioned doing a kidney test next month and considering using ACE inhibitors. My a1c was a 13. I don't know what to do. I am back in school and have been told that I look like I have it all together, but I know I'm dying on the inside. Do you have much experience with type 1 and eating disorders? I need any kind of help that I can get.

Answer:

It is important that you seek professional help as soon as possible. Both a psychotherapist and a dietitian who are experienced with eating disorders should be consulted simultaneously. I would recommend that you contact the Renfrew Center about their programs. Eating disorders require outside assistance; you may even need to get into a long-term treatment program where you will have constant supervision and guidance. Once you get the help you need with your eating disorder, you should be able to put a more healthful focus on your diabetes care. You've already taken the most difficult step, admitting you have a problem. Finding therapists to help you overcome your ED will be the best step you will take in taking back your life and your health.

MF

Posted to Behavior and Mental Health