From Houston, Texas, USA:

My friend is a fifty year old African American male. Until a few months ago, he was covered by a major health insurance carrier. However, his wife was the primary insurance holder, and they are now recently divorced. Due to living expenses, and child support, he is unable to afford the COBRA premium, and has not found a reasonable health insurance premium due to his pre-existing condition. Are there any programs or pharmaceutical companies that would provide him with reduced cost or free medications? His medications are as follows:

• Insulin NovoLog Mix 70/30
  • Avandia 8MG Tabs
  • Glucovance 2.5/500
  • Hyzaar 50/12.5

Any information that you could provide would be most helpful, as he is near depletion, and I am concerned about his overall health.

Each pharmaceutical company has its own indigent/reduced price program. Participation is based on the income and assets of the applicant. Your friend's best bet is to attempt to go back to the ex-wife and try to get back on her insurance. Failing that, he can attempt to get individual coverage through a state sponsored HIPAA plan. Or, he can get a job that has health insurance. Have your friend go to to learn more about health insurance options in Texas.

Posted to Insurance/Costs