Question:

From Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA:

My son just turned five and has severe reactions to sugar. His face becomes splotchy; extremely out of control behavior that is worse than normal (there are behavioral problems that we've tried helping with by cutting excess sugar out of his diet;) his breathing and heart beat are abnormal. The reaction is quick and very weird. He's had this reaction twice since we've excluded sugar. Diabetes runs very heavily on both sides of our families. Its hard for me to tell whether he urinates excessively. He does kind of seem to have a large bladder and his appetite is pretty big for the size that he is. He's pretty skinny, weighs about 45 pounds but is pretty tall for his age. Is the sugar reaction something to worry about and a sign of sugar/diabetes problems or should I not be concerned?

Answer:

I would suggest reviewing your concerns with your pediatrician. Those are not typical symptoms for diabetes, however, there could be other problems relating to his behaviors.

Posted to Behavior