From North Carolina, USA:

My question stems from my most recent question. My daughter is eight years old and weighs 60 pounds. In the morning, she takes 10 units of NPH and one to three units of Humalog. She checks at school every day at 10 a.m. and, depending on her readings, her carbohydrate intake fluctuates. Recently, a new specialist wants us to give her 15 grams no matter what her blood sugar is. I disagree and want to stick to my system. Which system do most parent use? Which works best? Her Alc ranges from 7.4 - 7.9 past three years.

Also, does the dosage of insulin compare to other children her weight and age? Her evening insulin is nine units of NPH and one or more units of Humalog.

There is no single best way to manage diabetes. You'll have the best success being flexible and sometimes trying new dosing schedules. Most, though not all of the time, parents have pretty good ideas about the best dosing schedule for their children and a good pediatric diabetes physician will carefully consider a parent's ideas. Your child's insulin dosing based on weight is within normal limits.

To find out what "most people do", please see our Parent's Place, especially the Parents' Mailing list.