Question:

From Faridabad:

My father, a type 2 diabetic, fell down on the road one month ago and developed some swelling on his right foot. His x-ray was okay and the doctor confirmed that there is no fracture or hair-line crack, etc. This swelling has continued since last month. The doctor had said that it would be okay by two weeks time, but this has not been the case. Since my father is a type 2 diabetic, I am worried about his foot. Is swelling for a month, which is normal from the doctor's point of view, really normal from the diabetes point of view? Please explain what should be done.

Answer:

In the practice of medicine, if a condition does not behave in a manner consistent with what is projected, it would be appropriate to have the leg examined periodically to make sure that the original diagnosis still remains accurate. I would have the doctor continue to examine the leg.

Posted to Type 2 and Aches and Pains