Question:

From Gloucester Township, New Jersey, USA:

My son is 12 years old and has diabetes for 15 months. He is on Lantus with a NovoLog bolus for meals. We are finding that it takes three hours after a NovoLog bolus for his blood sugar to return to normal levels. Is it crucial that blood sugar values return to the normal range within two hours, or is three hours acceptable?

Answer:

Three hours is still acceptable if his A1c is within normal levels. Even I wonder whether the timing of the NovoLog you inject is long enough to better reduce your son's postprandial hyperglycemia. Have you ever tried to wait a little longer before starting to eat and see whether this might help to reduce the postprandial high blood sugar length? Have you checked the right area to inject insulin, avoiding buttocks and legs and preferring arms and abdomen? If not, try it cautiously in order to avoid a preprandial low blood sugar.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Daily Care