Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

At school, if my daughter has a 10 a.m. reading of 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L], she does not have a snack. Lunch then follows at ll a.m. and she has 40 grams of carbohydrates. At 12:00, she has physical education. Generally, when we check at 3 p.m., she is high, 250 to 350 mg/dl [13.9 to 19.4 mmol/L] on physical education day only. The physical education, right after lunch on a high number, I think, is causing the 3 p.m. high. Does this mean she should not participate if her blood sugar is over 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L]? Should she check her number before physical education to determine this? What do most children do?

Answer:

I would not restrict activity for a blood sugar of 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L], unless she also has ketones in her urine and is getting sick with her diabetes. I would suggest reviewing 7-14 days of blood sugars with your diabetes team to make an insulin dosing adjustment to better meet her needs and avoid the high blood sugars.

Additional comments from Brenda Hitchcock:

To see what others do or have done, you should search our previous questions at Ask the Diabetes Team.

BH

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Hyperglycemia and DKA