Question:

From New Delhi, India:

I am a type 1 diabetic and I am obese. My body mass index (BMI) is 31. I have high triglycerides and I take one fenofibrate capsule every day to control my triglycerides. On the one hand, I believe that I have high triglycerides due to obesity, but on the other, my doctor believes that it is a genetic problem and hence I will have to take these capsules throughout my life. Can I discontinue these capsules after I reduce my weight, or not?

Answer:

It is possible that you could be able to reduce or discontinue the fenofibrate if you lose the weight and your triglycerides normalize. But, this will have to be monitored by your physician and he/she will make that decision. Each person is different. Some, with genetics as the origin of the high levels of triglycerides, need to continue the medication.

ABS

Posted to Other and Weight and Weight Loss