From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

My son was diagnosed seven months ago at the age of four and he is honeymooning. What factors can push the healthy beta cells left in his body to be used up? For example: diet change/detoxifying leading to high numbers; illness causing use of antibiotics; running high blood sugar numbers. The bottom line is, what should we be avoiding?

Most children, at four, have very intense auto immune diabetes. I am not sure anything really helps keep the pancreas from destruction. Just do your best with controlling glucose, but avoid hypoglycemia, which is difficult to do. I would rather have full diabetes than lots of very low glucoses. A four year old doesn't always cooperate because they are four!

Infections cause stress, but you can't keep him in a bubble.

Posted to Honeymoon