Question:

From Buffalo, New York, USA:

My child is on the pump. Since I count carbohydrates, does it really make a difference if I give him a sugar-free cookie or a regular cookie if the carbohydrate value is the same? I know that a regular cookie will raise the blood glucose quicker. Sometimes he will have one after a dinner that always includes a protein.

Answer:

I face this question a lot. The answer is in the number of cookies--too many of either is bad. Why? One, the simple carbohydrates in the regular cookie, which push the glucose up quickly. Two, too many "sugar-free" cookies containing sorbitol cause diarrhea. I would use the "regular" cookies, but limit the quantity. In a mixed meal it really is the best way to give these "treats".