From Kalispell, Montana, USA:

Is there a test available at a big hospital that can figure our how resistant a person is to insulin, and how long it takes his body to respond? I wrote to you last month . We have switched my son to NovoLog from Humalog, because of lipoatrophy. We are hoping it helps. We are VERY frustrated trying to figure out his doses now. He STILL seems to not respond for two hours. This means he may be up to 300 to 400 mg/dl [16.7 to 22.2 mmol/L] before he starts coming down. This is true even if his blood sugar is 67 mg/dl [3.7 mmol/L] before a meal. It is frustrating and I'm starting to have a lot of anxiety about his future, and what is in store for him. We give all our effort around the clock, and we can't seem to get him controlled. His last A1C was 7.8, up from 7.3. When he was two years old it was 13! I know it's gotten easier as he's gotten older, as far as his ability to contribute and communicate, but he appears to be starting puberty and I know the rate of complications increases. Where should I go? I'd go just about anywhere. We've done the CGM, still baffled.

If what you describe is true, then you should be working closely with a pediatric diabetes specialist. Such situations are extremely rare. I might suggest Seattle or Denver as the two likely closet specialty centers for pediatric insulin resistance syndromes. Sometimes changing to a different insulin will be helpful, as may an insulin pump.

Posted to Other and Daily Care