Question:

From Minnesota, USA:

I tested my blood sugar half an hour before running for 40 minutes. The result was 139 mg/dl [7.7 mmol/L]. After running it was 197 mg/dl [10.4 mmol/L] My understanding is that my liver could have been stressed enough to kick out sugar. Does this mean that I should exercise less intensively or is it still best for me to continue? I run five times a week at age 55. This is the first time that I tested.

Answer:

There are too many things I don't know to answer this question. What time were you exercising? How long after the exercise was the second test? When and what you did you eat before the exercise? What medication you are taking and, when, in relation to the exercise? For now, you should test before and after at least three times and see what that tells you.

JS

Additional comments from Brenda Hitchcock:

For information on normal blood glucose readings, see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes.

BH

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Other