Question:

From Ontario, California, USA:

On our vacation this past week, we traveled to a higher elevation to Reno, Nevada and had considerable problems with lows in spite of similar activity levels experienced at home. What is the relationship between blood sugar levels and altitude?

Answer:

My diabetes camps are always in the mountains, at a higher altitude, but the lows our campers experience are from the higher amount of exercise. We had just as many lows last year when camp was held near the seashore. I also have a patient who lives in a mountainous area who experiences no more lows than those kids that live at sea level.

AS

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other