Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 2004

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. During a check for a bladder infection, my young son had ketones, but no glucose. Why would there be ketones in his urine without glucose? Is the in-office test accurate? (31 May 2004)

2. During my son's ultrasound for pain, there was increased echogenicity of the right kidney. His isolated urine creatinine was 502. Do I need to be concerned? (31 May 2004)

3. Why do people with type 2 taken insulin if they are insulin resistant? Isn't there too much insulin in the bloodstream? (31 May 2004)

4. Recently, while I was getting an x-ray, medical personnel refused to allow my son to drink. His blood sugars were very high that day so he needed the fluid. Can a diabetic be denied treating his condition when he feels it is necessary? (30 May 2004)

5. My father recently had the tail of his pancreas removed because of a tumor. He was told not to take insulin unless over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], but has been much higher. He is also under a great deal of stress. Would this contribute to the high blood sugar readings? (30 May 2004)

6. My sons were having low pre-breakfast blood sugars so we switched their NPH from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Our doctor does not feel they need middle of the night blood sugar checks unless we are changing their NPH doses. Is this okay? (30 May 2004)

7. How does the newly approved Apidra compare to Humalog and NovoLog? (30 May 2004)

8. I was put on insulin when diagnosed with type 2 in 1990. My A1c is 6.0. Could I take Glucophage and Avandia instead of insulin? (29 May 2004)

9. I have been monitoring my young son's blood sugars since his two seizures. He has had several lows. Could they impair his brain development? Can he outgrow this type of hypoglycemia? (29 May 2004)

10. I think my son needs to get more insulin because he is growing. How much do I increase his Humalog and/or NPH? (29 May 2004)

11. I am a 52 year old woman and I was recently diagnosed with type 2, but I am confused because I am very thin and athletic. Could it be type 1 or something else? (29 May 2004)

12. My son's nighttime blood sugars are easier to control only on nights after sports' activities. Otherwise, they rise or drop. I have to test him every two hours. Is this common? (29 May 2004)

13. I am 28 weeks pregnant. My one hour glucose test results were a little high. Could the juice I drank on the morning of the test or the illness I had affect the results? (29 May 2004)

14. My ten year old daughter uses about 12 units of insulin, via pump, per day. Could she still be in her honeymoon? She was diagnosed two and a half years ago. (27 May 2004)

15. My sister recently told me that people with diabetes, such as my teen son, should not have hot wax or similar treatments. Is this true? (27 May 2004)

16. I have diabetes, as well as a brittle bone disorder and a bleeding disorder. Can I test my blood sugar without blood? Should I be able to use a pump? (27 May 2004)

17. Following my son's brief seizure, I used my own glucose meter to test his blood sugars, some of which were elevated. Should I be pushing for a GTT and antibody testing? Or, do you agree these results are normal? (27 May 2004)

18. Is a TSH of 3.9 okay for a 13 month old? Should I not ever worry again about it or should I periodically have him tested? I am concerned since his brother has diabetes and his dad has celiac. (27 May 2004)

19. I am a teen with PCOS and insulin resistance. I have been advised to lose weight by reducing my carbohydrates, but certain foods are making me vomit. What should I do? (26 May 2004)

20. What are the links between diabetes and bipolar disorder? Are there any statistics linking diabetes to suicide? (26 May 2004)

21. How do parents or other caregivers deal with disciplining toddlers when it's not clear they are merely misbehaving or are having a low blood sugar? (26 May 2004)

22. Are there other diseases that present like diabetes? I've had many of the symptoms, but all tests showed I don't have diabetes. (26 May 2004)

23. My doctor wants me to take an ACE inhibitor because of protein in a spot urine check. Could the spot exam have been affected by the slight fever I had? (26 May 2004)

24. Is there a cure for type 2 diabetes? My wife's post meal blood sugar is slightly elevated. Does she have diabetes? (25 May 2004)

25. Could my client's blood sugar irregularities, before his diagnosis, have contributed to his marital problems I am trying to help solve? (25 May 2004)

26. Can insulin pumps be made available in India? (25 May 2004)

27. My young son is taking five units of NPH at bedtime, but is consistently high. Should we keep increasing the dose of half units until we see an improvement in his blood sugars? (25 May 2004)

28. I have heard from other retinopathy patients that it is not a good idea to get pregnant. Will pregnancy have a negative effect on already treated proliferative retinopathy? (25 May 2004)

29. Is it true diabetes can skip generations? (25 May 2004)

30. Is there a relationship between allergies and ketogenic hypoglycemia? (25 May 2004)

31. How does the length of the needle on a syringe effect insulin absorption? (24 May 2004)

32. I am 32 years old. Will I see a cure for my son in my life time? (24 May 2004)

33. My husband has had diabetes for almost 43 years and has a high serum creatine level. Is he going into kidney failure? When should he start dialysis? (23 May 2004)

34. What are Polyols? Where can we get more information about them? Do they affect blood sugars sooner or later? (23 May 2004)

35. Is my sister's anti-GAD65 level of.2 mild or moderately positive? (23 May 2004)

36. Is there a honeymoon period in LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults)? (23 May 2004)

37. My neighbor just told me about wheylow, a sugar substitute I should use for my son who has type 1. What do you think of this? (23 May 2004)

38. As a result of a syringe found on a school floor, the school has told my daughter that she can no longer carry insulin and syringes in her purse. Does the school have the right to do this? (23 May 2004)

39. My five year old daughter, who has had diabetes since age one, has had chronic stomach pains and a small odor. Is it insulin related? (23 May 2004)

40. My spouse has been unable to stay awake in the car for two years. He's had diabetes for three. Is this related to his diabetes or is there another explanation? (23 May 2004)

41. While using mixed 70/30 Humalog in the morning and before dinner, I am having lows after meals since starting a new diet. Should I use smaller doses or a different mix of insulins? (23 May 2004)

42. What does an A1c of 6.0 mean for a 34 year old female? My doctor said it is not a concern, but when I read the laboratory results, it was flagged as out of range. (23 May 2004)

43. Diagnosed three months ago, my daughter has been testing quite frequently at school. She says she has a headache or stomach ache. Could she have OCD like me? (21 May 2004)

44. My oldest and youngest children have type 1. My middle child had some elevated blood sugars so we had some laboratory tests run. None of her blood sugars were elevated. Her C-peptide was 0.6. Does she have diabetes? (21 May 2004)

45. My eight year old swears, yells for no reason and blames others for his own behavior. He is also disrespectful at school. With treatment, how long approximately can I expect my son to act and feel this way? Will his anger ever end? (20 May 2004)

46. My grandchild was diagnosed with diabetes after using steroids. Once off the steroids, her blood sugars returned to normal. What is an islet test and how accurate is it? Can she watch her diet and exercise to control her diabetes? (20 May 2004)

47. When diagnosed with diabetes, my son's antibody levels were all normal. Could he have some form of diabetes other than type 1? (20 May 2004)

48. I have been reducing my daughter's Lantus since she is more active outside. I am afraid of low blood sugars. Could the reduction have cause her high blood sugar after swimming? (20 May 2004)

49. I've read that siblings have an increased chance of also getting type 1 diabetes, often shortly after one child is diagnosed. Is this common? Should I test my sons with Ketostix? (20 May 2004)

50. I've heard that rapid drops in one's A1c can trigger retinopathy? Is this true in children with a short diabetes history? My son's A1c was 8.5% five months ago and is now 4.5%. (20 May 2004)

51. I have neuropathy. Is there a cure for it? (20 May 2004)

52. My son is having high blood sugars and large ketones. The doctor said to give him more insulin. It helps, but the blood sugars go back up. What do you think is going on? (20 May 2004)

53. My son has type 2 and takes Glucophage. He has had some lows during sports. What are the best snacks to give him while he is playing ball to keep him from having these attacks? (19 May 2004)

54. Is there a "sure-fire" location for testing one's blood glucose? We have difficulty obtaining adequate blood from our son. (19 May 2004)

55. My daughter was given insulin in January when diagnosed with type 1. She has never needed additional insulin. Is she possibly in her honeymoon or is there another explanation? (19 May 2004)

56. Are there test strips for determining one's blood glucose that do not require a meter, but give a general range? (19 May 2004)

57. My teen daughter is a competitive swimmer. She disconnects her pump for swimming, but has lows halfway through practices. She treats the lows and boluses, but is still very high afterwards. Can low sugars cause the liver glycogen reaction to raise her sugars as high as they are going? (18 May 2004)

58. My four year old takes NPH and Humalog in the morning, Humalog at dinner and NPH at bedtime. She is consistently high at 10 a.m., but fine by lunch. What do you recommend for eliminating these morning highs? (17 May 2004)

59. Periodically, I have trouble with high blood sugars for two to three days before I can get them under control. I cannot determine why it happens. I get bothersome headaches with the highs and no ketones. I use an insulin pump. Do you have any advice? (17 May 2004)

60. As a teacher with the summer off, can I change my daughter's insulin schedule? I'd like to give her shots later. (17 May 2004)

61. What issues do I need to consider before committing to my boyfriend? We are considering marriage. He has had type 1 diabetes for over ten years. I am particularly concerned about fertility, sex, activity levels and potential major disabilities. (17 May 2004)

62. I have had typical symptoms of diabetes. My urine test was negative. Should I ask my doctor to check my blood sugar level anyway? (16 May 2004)

63. I have been having stomach probelems since my recent diagnosis with diabetes. Could I be suffering from kidney failure? (16 May 2004)

64. Is the one year waiting period to get a pump the norm for most pediatric endocrinologists? What is the benefit of waiting? What is the criteria for being ready for a pump? (14 May 2004)

65. Is it possible that the modified insulin analogs or the preservatives in them could be causing the allergic reactions and atrophies that I have? I have used Humalog, Novolin ge Toronto and now Lantus. (14 May 2004)

66. My toddler son started having idiopathic seizures in April 2004. All test results were normal, but we have been watching his blood sugars. After a recent seizure, his blood sugar was somewhat low. What are your thoughts? (13 May 2004)

67. Although she has not been diagnosed with diabetes, my daughter has five to six high blood sugars a week and some lows. Is it normal for a child's blood sugar to spike and fall? (13 May 2004)

68. Can you please comment on the most cost-effective, environmentally friendly method of syringe/lancet disposal? (13 May 2004)

69. My sister recently miscarried early in her pregnancy. She had high blood sugars during this period. Can high blood sugars effect a pregnancy to the point where the mom miscarries? (13 May 2004)

70. My 17 year old friend, who has type 1 and uses a pump, has become sexually active. What is the best female contraception for her? (13 May 2004)

71. Is a urine test, taken after fasting, accurate for testing for diabetes? (13 May 2004)

72. My daughter was recently hospitalized for a virus and ketones. She had a cough for two weeks before then and it is continuing. Should I be concerned? (13 May 2004)

73. How should I deal with my dawn phenomenon highs? I go low when I take more Lantus. (12 May 2004)

74. I have been suffering from many aches and pains. Are they related to my diabetes or something else? (12 May 2004)

75. I have kept very tight control of diabetes for 49 years. In the past five years, I have found myself to be "skeptical" when low. Do you know why this is? (12 May 2004)

76. What are the long term implications of killing the thyroid and taking Synthroid the rest of your life? Would this impact my daughter's ability to have children? (12 May 2004)

77. My daughter takes Lantus and Humalog. Two days ago, we had to feed her a lot of extra food and eliminate her Humalog to prevent constant low blood sugars. What would have caused this? (12 May 2004)

78. My children enjoy drinking the flavored waters that are now available. Is this nutritionally the same as regular water? (12 May 2004)

79. Do you have any advice for preventing strep throat? What medicines can be given to help cure this? (12 May 2004)

80. Our son has had diabetes and celiac disease for over five years. We are frustrated by his high and low blood sugars. Are there ways to take insulin other than injections? Pumping is not an option here in Libya. (12 May 2004)

81. Initially, during my pregnancy I had low blood sugars. Now, they are high. Over half of my pregnancy I have had high blood sugars. I had thought there would be no harm to the baby, but I now know otherwise. Have I already hurt my baby? (12 May 2004)

82. Recently, I have noticed a very strong odor to my urine. Could this be connected with my diabetes in any way? I take Tolinase twice a day and Regular before dinner. (12 May 2004)

83. My son's recent blood work results had this comment: "Fluorescence suggestive of anti-smooth muscle antibody. Recommend follow-up testing." What does this mean? (12 May 2004)

84. What happens if one overdoses on metformin? What constitutes an overdose? I accidently took all three at once. (12 May 2004)

85. As someone experienced with type 1, I recently aided an acquaintance who was having a severe hypoglycemic reaction. After an entire can of Coke and 10 minutes, his blood sugar was 29 mg/dl [1.6 mmol/L]. I then gave him 1 mg glucagon. Was this the appropriate treatment? (11 May 2004)

86. My daughter takes Lantus in the morning and evening, but still has high blood sugars after bedtime. Should we increase the morning dose of Lantus? (9 May 2004)

87. I've read in various studies that young kids are usually not affected by diabetes complications until they reach puberty. What are your thoughts on that? Can a person go through life with good A1cs and still develop complications? (9 May 2004)

88. Could you please comment on a recent news story about treating neonatal diabetes with sulphonylureas? (9 May 2004)

89. As a result of some recent blood glucose checks, I've learned my daughter's blood sugar drops between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. Why do you think this is? Could it be caused by the thyroid pill she takes at 5 a.m.? (8 May 2004)

90. My teen granddaughter, diagnosed five years ago, recently skipped her insulin shots until she ended up in DKA in intensive care. Has she done irreversible damage to her kidneys, eyes, or anything else? (8 May 2004)

91. During a recent kidney function test, I had an elevated level of uric acid. What does this mean? Is there a natural method of reducing this level? (8 May 2004)

92. My young son, who was diagnosed eight months ago, has low blood sugars around 4 a.m. to 5 a.m. Is his body still producing some insulin? What insulin options do you recommend? (7 May 2004)

93. My son was given a Transcyte dressing four months before his diagnosis with diabetes. Are you aware of any research or investigation into the relationship between Transcyte dressing and diabetes? Could the dressing have been a trigger for his diagnosis? (7 May 2004)

94. Can stomachaches increase blood sugar levels? (7 May 2004)

95. Given NPH only twice daily, a child is having consistent high blood sugars. The doctor wants to maintain the NPH only. Can you suggest more appropriate insulin types and doses, if any? (7 May 2004)

96. Where can I find charts and/or graphs for carbohydrate counts, blood sugars, and to register insulin dosage given? (7 May 2004)

97. Anticipating an increased activity level during the summer, I'd like to decrease my son's Lantus dose. The pediatrician says to decrease Humalog only. What are your thoughts? (6 May 2004)

98. Why does my daughter sometimes have a low blood sugar only two hours or less after eating a meal with the required amounts of carbohydrates? Is it related to the rice she had consumed? What role does protein play? (6 May 2004)

99. Do you have any information on whether or not pioglitazone may extend the honeymoon period? My daughter has a chance to participate in a blind research study on this subject. (5 May 2004)

100. How accurate is blood glucose testing using a sample taken from a dog's lip? (5 May 2004)

101. My son's blood pressure was elevated at the endocrinologist this morning. Is this something I should be concerned about? (5 May 2004)

102. I was diagnosed with diabetes based on one fasting glucose test. While awaiting the results of blood work, I was called to set up an "emergency" appointment with an endocrinologist. I am very confused. Could you possibly explain to me what is going on? (5 May 2004)

103. Is there any benefit to taking medicinal mushrooms to extend the honeymoon period? (5 May 2004)

104. I recently tested my friend's son's blood sugar and got a slightly high reading. A second, very high blood sugar was after a high carb meal. Later tests were "normal." Should my friend be concerned about her son? (5 May 2004)

105. Where can a family in Georgia get funding for diabetes supplies for their child? Health insurance will not cover these items. (4 May 2004)

106. Can you confirm that Eli Lilly is discontinuing sterile diluent for Ultralente and other insulins for which the same diluent is used? (4 May 2004)

107. Is there a difference between a regular cookie containing 10 grams of carbohydrates and a sugar free cookie of the same amount? How long does it take for a carbohydrate to cause a rise in the blood sugar? (4 May 2004)

108. How do ketones affect the muscles in your stomach? (4 May 2004)

109. My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1. She seems to have more "wind." Is this from the extra food she's eating or could this be a reaction to the insulin? (3 May 2004)

110. My son recently had cyanosis and tests indicate it was not diabetes related. Are there any possible causes I may bring to the pediatrician's attention? (3 May 2004)

111. My daughter recently had some blood work done. She had a high insulin level, a triglyceride level of 185 and was overweight. Should I be worried about this? What can I do to prevent her from getting diabetes? (3 May 2004)

112. Are urine tests for glucose always accurate? (3 May 2004)

113. Do you think it would be a problem to send our son to boarding school in the U.S. now that he has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? (3 May 2004)

114. Do young woman with type 1 diabetes suffer, in general, when menstruating? What can be used to help alleviate the pain caused by cramps? (2 May 2004)

115. Is it acceptable to give my daughter her insulin after she has eaten? (2 May 2004)

116. My toddler son has been using a pump for eight months. He is often quite high 30 minutes after meals, but is in range two hours afterwards. Is this normal? (2 May 2004)

117. Since there are reports that cinnamon helps people with type 2, would it be helpful to give cinnamon to a newly diagnosed type 1 child? Could it extend the honeymoon? (2 May 2004)

118. Could you help me find a nutritionist to help with vegetarian meal planning for my recently diagnosed daughter? What is the status of a cure? (2 May 2004)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts