Question:

From Paramus, New Jersey, USA:

I am an Indian physician and my daughter has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are vegetarians and we eat mostly Indian ethnic food. Do you know any nutritionist who can assist us in formulating plan for Indian diet for my daughter? She was just diagnosed three days ago. What are her chances of getting rid of this disease? I am interested in islet cell transplant and monoclonal antibody trials to increase her honeymoon period, if she gets that.

Answer:

I would recommend that you speak with your daughter's physician and ask for a referral to a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. He/she can develop an individualized meal plan that takes into account your family's specific food and cultural preferences. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes currently, but it certainly can be well controlled with meal planning, activity, and insulin.

JMS

Additional comments from Brenda Hitchcock:

For information on efforts to find a cure for type 1 diabetes, see our page on Research into a Cure. You should also read Research News and Information.

BH

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Research: Cure