Question:

From Greensboro, North Carolina, USA:

My son is two years, eight months old. He has been wearing the pump for the last eight months. Is it normal that his blood glucose goes really high after eating meals? He eats very well, usually well-balanced meals. But if I take his blood glucose half an hour after, he will be between 250 and 330 mg/dl [13.9 and 18.3 mmol/L]. Then, the insulin bolus will kick in and two hours later he will be in his range (+/- 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]). Is this normal? Could this highs affect his organs in the future?

Answer:

You should try to wait progressively a little longer between the bolus and the start of the meal, especially every time his preprandial blood sugar levels are higher than expected (90 to 120 mg/dl higher). This should reduce his postprandial peaks.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Insulin Pumps