Question:

From Tampa, Florida, USA:

I've heard second-hand from a reliable source that Lilly is discontinuing diluent for Humulin Ultralente and Lente, and the other insulins for which that diluent may be used, due to lack of demand. Can you confirm this?

Answer:

I sent this question to Eli Lilly for a response:

After thoughtful consideration, Lilly has indeed discontinued producing Sterile Diluent for Humulin Ultralente and Humulin Lente. The usage rate for each product was very low. Patients are advised to discuss alternative options with their physician.

In regards to animal usage, Lilly insulins are not approved for use in animals. Any questions about using diluent with your pet should be directed to your pet's veterinarian.

Judy Kay Moore
Manager, Global Marketing Communications
Eli Lilly and Company

JSH