Question:

From Trenton, Ontario, Canada:

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, although only one fasting glucose test was ever done. I was 7.8 mmol/L [140 mg/dl], which, from my research doesn't appear to indicate diabetes. I purchased a monitor anyhow. My sugar readings range from 3.0 to 11 mmol/L [54 to 198 mg/dl]. Nevertheless, I went to my family doctor who did some blood work.

I received a phone call today from an endocrinologist before I have heard the results of my blood work. They informed me that they were calling to set up an emergency appointment for next Wednesday at 9:45 a.m. Then they said "and your doctor informed us that you are having serious issues with diabetes and the pituitary gland right?" and I told them I had no idea. So I am going next week but I am completely confused and my doctor's appointment isn't until after the "emergency" appointment.

My symptoms have been extreme thirst, nausea, dizziness, fuzzy eyesight even when wearing contacts or glasses, headaches, stomach pains, and leg pains. I have severely cold, clammy feet at night. I urinate all the time and have trouble sleeping because I feel dizzy as I am falling asleep. Could you possibly explain to me what is going on?

Answer:

It sounds like you are having the acute symptoms of hyperglycemia. Your one blood sugar was high. If a similar sugar is elevated, you would have diabetes by recognized criteria. It may be that your physician's office indicated to the referring endocrinologist's office that you were symptomatic with elevated sugars and they wanted to get you in to treat you, in order to decrease your symptoms. I cannot tell you what the issue is regarding your pituitary gland. It sounds like the issues are related to diagnosing and treating type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2