Question:

From New Delhi, India:

I am a type 1 diabetic, aged 19. Today, I had a kidney function test. One of the parameters, namely uric acid, is elevated. When the upper limit for the same is 7 mg/dl, my kidney function test shows a value of 8.4 mg/dl. What will be the repercussions of this elevated uric acid levels on my body? Is there any corrective action that can be taken to reduce this value, naturally?

Answer:

Uric acid is a breakdown product of nucleic acids. Humans are turning the substance over all the time. When it is elevated, it may the result of a medication you are taking. It may be the result of a familial predisposition to gout. People go their whole lives without gout having elevated uric acid levels. I would not be too upset by it now. Remember always to drink plenty of fluids during the hot whether as uric acid in the urine may serve as a "seed" for kidney stones. However, the blood level is not as predictive as the urine level of uric acid for stone disease.