Question:

From Benicia, California, USA:

I am a diabetic who takes Tolinase twice daily and Novolin Regular before my evening meal. My daily average runs between 105 and 115 mg/dl [5.3 and 6.4 mmol/L]. Lately, I have noticed that my urine has a very strong odor to it. It is not discolored, but very light in color and I have no pain while urinating. I drink plenty of water every day. This odor occurs mostly in the evening and at bedtime. Could this be connected with my diabetes in any way?

I have never had this problem until about four days ago, and it comes and goes. It doesn't occur during my waking hours. I have checked the foods I eat to see if any of them could be causing it, but they are foods I have eaten for years without creating this problem. I do not drink and drink maybe 10 to 12 diet cokes a month, sometimes less and usually during hot weather. I just don't know what to do.

Answer:

The urine is the route for elimination of a variety of compounds from the body, including dyes. Dyes may occur in beverages, foods, or medications (prescription or over-the-counter). Color and odor are not specific for any kind of abnormality. It is certainly not suggestive of any diabetes-related problem.

Posted to Other and Type 2