From Ajax, Ontario, Canada:

I am a 62 year old male and have had type 1 diabetes for 49 years. I greatly thank God that I have kept very tight control on my sugar levels. I'm aiming for age 90, which would be interesting! I have no problem with my eyes, and my circulation to all extremities, is very good. I have always watched my diabetes "like a hawk." Obviously, that's to my benefit. When I was in England a number of years ago, I met a diabetes specialist in London, who lived, I believe it was until about 95; I was told that he kept tight control on his diabetes. With a regimen of tight control, I have had, throughout the years, a number of low blood sugars, which I watch carefully, and monitor the level with glucometer test about six times daily.

I have found more recently, that is, within the last five years, that when my blood sugar falls below normal, I become very skeptical. In the years of questions and answers to the team that I have read, I have not come across comments specific to "skeptical." Would you be willing, please, to endeavor to explain why I become skeptical?

I am not sure at all why you become skeptical. I have seen patients who become hypoglycemic become introspective, depressed, manic, and a variety of moods. It may be that hypoglycemia affects you in this particular way. To my knowledge, I do not know if there is any other explanation in the diabetes literature.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Behavior