Question:

From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

I have been dating my boyfriend for about one year. He has had type 1 diabetes for over 10 years and controls it with injections, diet and exercise. My question is based on the fact that we are considering marriage. I love him and take part in his lifestyle with diabetes, but I am still concerned. What issues do I need to consider before committing to him for a lifetime? Am I overreacting? I am particularly concerned about issues involving fertility, sex, activity levels and potential major disabilities. I am willing to commit, but I would still like to know what I should expect for the future.

Answer:

Providing your boyfriend takes good care of his diabetes, he can live a long and healthy life. The situation is easier since you don't have diabetes and you are the one who will carry the pregnancies. If you haven't already, you should accompany your boyfriend to his diabetes checkups and learn about diabetes management so that you can support him in his care.

JS

Posted to Other and Family Planning