From Queensbury, New York, USA:

My seven year old son and I went for a walk the other night right after dinner. I forgot to bring his blood tester and he began to complain that his stomach hurt, which for him, is a characteristic symptom for a low, but sometimes for a high also. I forgot to bring his meter with me and didn't want to treat with sugar if he were high. I suspected a high since it was right after dinner. We made it home and he was in fact, low.

The situation brought a question/idea to mind. f I had some type of "litmus test strip" type of blood tester, like a urine test strip only for blood, I could get a some type of reading on those rare times I forget the meter. Take these test strips, along with a couple lancets I could use "manually, " without a lancing device, and I'd have one with me at all times. It would only need to read in ranges, 0 to 100 mg/dl [0 to 5.6 mmol/L], 100 to 200 mg/dl [5.6 to 11.1 mmol/L], and so on. Basically, it would help discern a low from a high. I realize that meters, like the Freestyle Flash, are getting smaller and smaller, but I would like to know whether there is a something out there like I describe.

The BETACHEK Visual Blood Glucose Test Strips will do exactly what you want.