Question:

From Vandalia, Ohio, USA:

My son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We've tried many things to make testing easier. We've done vigorous rubbing, warm washcloths, and various sites for glucose testing; unfortunately, we are having a difficult time getting the necessary sample of blood. We pinch and prod, stopping short of standing on our heads. Do you have any "sure-fire" locations for testing? Taking our insulin shot is a breeze compared to testing.

Answer:

You might VERY CAREFULLY try using a tourniquet-like effect. Using a fingertip that is warm, wrap a rubber band about one to two inches from the tip, but not too tightly! This should trap enough blood in the fingertip that you'll obtain an adequate sample. Also, I hope you are using a meter which requires very little blood.

BS

Additional comments from Brenda Hitchcock:

Please read about Blood Glucose Meters on our web site to find out which require the smaller amounts of blood.

BH

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Daily Care