From New Carlisle, Ohio, USA:

My son is 12 years old and, for the past three days, his blood sugar has been reading high and it shows large amounts of ketones. I talked to the doctor and they have had me give en extra sot of insulin and give him a lot of water. It takes a while for it to come down and the ketones go away but they come back. The doctor suggested that he may be getting sick, but he just had a physical and everything was fine. I worry that this is going to cause damage and I worry about a coma. How can I help him with this? He does what he is supposed to and eats what he is supposed to. Does puberty have anything to do with also?

Change the insulin. High glucoses for no reason can be bad insulin. If that doesn't work, and I bet it will, you need to think about illness and then increase the dose.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Insulin