Question:

From New Carlisle, Ohio, USA:

My son is 12 years old and, for the past three days, his blood sugar has been reading high and it shows large amounts of ketones. I talked to the doctor and they have had me give en extra sot of insulin and give him a lot of water. It takes a while for it to come down and the ketones go away but they come back. The doctor suggested that he may be getting sick, but he just had a physical and everything was fine. I worry that this is going to cause damage and I worry about a coma. How can I help him with this? He does what he is supposed to and eats what he is supposed to. Does puberty have anything to do with also?

Answer:

Change the insulin. High glucoses for no reason can be bad insulin. If that doesn't work, and I bet it will, you need to think about illness and then increase the dose.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Insulin