From California, USA:

My son was diagnosed with diabetes last month. While in the hospital, they checked antibody levels with his initial blood work. These took a week or so to come back, but when they did, they were all normal. They checked for antibodies to insulin, islet cells and one other thing that I don't remember. With this, the suggestion was made that he may be a MODY, but as I read about that, neither his father nor I have diabetes, only his grandmothers were diagnosed with type 2 in their 70s. He's quite slender, so is not the typical picture of a type 2, and that hasn't been suggested. What do you think this may be with obviously some form of diabetes, but normal antibodies?

From the age of your son, the likelihood of him having other than type 1 is very slim. Antibodies are usually present, but they are like many tests in medicine: if negative, this doesn't necessarily exclude the diagnosis which is a clinical one (i.e. based on symptoms, signs and simple lab tests).