From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

A friend just excitedly told me that I should look into a new product called "wheylow" as a sugar substitute for my 11 year old son who has type 1. I went to the site and found some of the claims kind of outrageous, but a Google search showed me that a lot of type 2s seem to be buying into it. The site says that they combine fructose with whey and the fructose cancels out the carbohydrates from the whey in the small intestine. If this were the case, I could give my son a glass of milk and then a glass of fruit juice to counteract the milk carbohydrates, which is ridiculous. Have you seen this site and what do you make of some of these claims at the Whey Low web site?

I know nothing about this product, but I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

I heard a lecture at the New York Academy of Sciences about Internet and Medicine, and what you have seen is marketing.

On their top web page they state: Dr. Zehner earned his Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of Minnesota, his Bachelor's of Science in chemistry at the University of Pennsylvania, and has over 100 issued worldwide patents to his credit. He has led both Fortune 100 and small biotech research and development teams for 31 years, the last 21 of which he has been innovating in the food and nutrition industries.

Great for him--patents are issued to anyone. Is there hard science to back up the claims they are making?

In their clinical testing web page, Whey Low® Oral Tolerance Tests (OTT) in Normal and Type 2 Diabetic Subjects, it states: "has filed for a US patent." Again, anyone can file for any patent it does not mean that it works. The "data," which I admit that I did not read, is not peer reviewed and published in any journal. Again, I know a little about peer review journals--check out The Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine. I am the second name listed.

I did submit the web site to Quackwatch and there was nothing listed yet. Look back there in a couple of days, and hopefully we will get a response. Remember, there is a sucker born every minute.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Other