Question:

From Alabama, USA:

I am 32 years old. Will I see a cure for my son in my life time?

Answer:

Like with most medical research, we cannot really give you an answer about a cure for type 1 diabetes. There are many research teams all around the world looking to understand the causes of diabetes and working on possible cures. We understand that type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disorder where the body's own immune system attacks the pancreas beta cells, so insulin production is destroyed. Mechanical pancreases as well as transplants show great promise but an immediate cure is not imminent. Work on stem cells looks promising but is greatly hampered by the current President and the Republican Congress so that research money is restricted. You should join the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and also the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) so that you can get current and monthly updates on progress. Your own diabetes team can also provide such information at office visits several times each year.

Posted to Research: Cure