From Canada:

I had four treatments for proliferative retinopathy in both eyes last summer. I had a small hemorrhage in my right eye that has cleared and had four more treatments on that retina. This all began when I started to take control of my blood sugar after poor control in university. My doctor says everything looks good right now, but I have heard from other retinopathy patients that it is not a good idea to get pregnant. Is this true? Will pregnancy have a negative effect on already treated proliferative retinopathy?

I consulted with an ophthalmologist to help answer your question. Pregnancy is a risk factor for worsening retinopathy. Proliferative retinopathy, even treated, is more likely to show some progression, than the non-proliferative disease. But, some women remain stable throughout the pregnancy. The best approach is to have frequent retinal examinations (every one to two months) during the pregnancy. Keeping your glucose under good control will also minimize the chances of advancing the disease as well.

Posted to Complications and Family Planning