Question:

From Arkansas, USA:

My 13 month son has just had his second round of. At first, it was thought to be a febrile seizure for lack of other causes and a normal EEG test. After the second one, with no fever present, I was told to monitor his blood sugar at home where it has been 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] and below on several occasions. I've learned to relate the low blood sugar to a high carbohydrate diet or long stretch without a meal or snack. We are in the process of being accepted by a team of doctors at Memphis, University of Tennessee. In searching and trying to educate myself about the possible causes for seizures, I have come across information from your site about smaller children and the effects of hypoglycemia and their brain development. Is it possible that this, if it is found that he is hypoglycemic, can cause a problem with brain development? Also, is hypoglycemia always related to diabetes? Is it something that a child, if the diet is watched closely, can outgrow? I was told that a child's pancreas, along with other organs, do not actually fully develop until after the age of two. Is this true? I just need to know what angle to approach the new doctor with when we go in, which, hopefully be within the next two weeks. Educating yourself beforehand seems to help you ask the right questions.

Answer:

The team in Memphis is excellent and should be able to help you answer these questions. The pediatric endocrine team in Little Rock is also excellent. Hypoglycemia is worrisome, if prolonged and associated with seizures. Then, there is some associated risk of brain damage. The real question is the cause of the seizures and whether or not there is hypoglycemia and if the hypoglycemia is causing seizures. In diabetes, such hypoglycemia is a mismatch between insulin available/delivered, food and activity. When there is no diabetes, then one must look for sources of insulin (i.e. pancreas malfunction or poor development, tumors) or for other causes of severe hypoglycemia such as adrenal insufficiency, growth hormone insufficiency, etc. Detailed monitoring and testing should answer such questions, as well as appropriate neurological testing.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other