Question:

From Mumbai, India:

I have fasting blood sugar of 130 mg/dl [7/2 mmol/L]. My postprandial blood sugar is 260 mg/dl [14.4 mmol/L]. I have type 2 diabetes. Can I consume avocados? In what form and how many? What are its calories and other nutritive contents? What type of carbohydrates and fats are in them?

Answer:

Avocados can be worked into a diabetes meal plan. The good thing about avocados is that they are loaded with monounsaturated fats, the best type of fat for you to consume. The trade off is they are also loaded with a large amount of calories. In 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) of avocado there are 45 calories and 5 grams of fat. You may want to speak with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning to determine how to work these into your specific meal plan.

JMS

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Type 2