Question:

From Portland, Oregon, USA:

My son is 10 years old. He was diagnosed through a blood test, a mononucleosis screen, two years ago. He was exhibiting the same symptoms, swollen glands, sore throat, fatigue, low grade fevers, now and yesterday and tested positive through a blood test. I have heard conflicting reports about whether or not it is possible to have mononucleosis twice. Is it possible that his immune system is compromised because he has type 1 diabetes? We are following the treatment for mononucleosis, rest and Tylenol, and no extracurricular activities. He does not have strep throat, although he does have a sore throat.

Answer:

It is possible to have infectious mononucleosis more than once and it is likely that it has nothing to do with his diabetes.