Question:

From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

My son has had blood glucose readings over 20 mmol/L [360 mg/dl] at school through lunch. A majority of his blood glucose readings at lunch are within a normal range, but what would be the normal diabetic care for a eight year old when his blood glucose reading is this high? He has not consumed any additional food from his normal snack at 10:30 a.m. and his activity is normal. Also, he does not have any indications of an illness etc.

Answer:

I would suggest reviewing your blood sugar results with your diabetes team. It seems that an insulin dosing adjustment would be in order.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Daily Care