Question:

From India:

I am a 44 year old male and I weigh 100 kg (about 220 pounds). I recently had an abnormal blood sugar following a glucose tolerance test. Three hours afterwards, my blood sugar was 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. If I eat carefully, my blood sugar is normal. Do I have diabetes? Do I need to take metformin? Can my diet include fruit?

Answer:

Given the information that you have provided, it appears that you have some glucose intolerance which is being controlled with diet. Your weight for your age would put you in the obese category, but you do not give your height. Additionally, you would need to speak with your physician regarding any medication.

Generally, additional testing should be considered, to include the determination of your C-peptide level. Weight reduction, diet and exercise are the backbone of any diabetes treatment plan. I would seek advice in this regard.

ABS

Posted to Type 2 and Pills for Diabetes