Question:

From Northville, New York, USA:

My husband used to be a sweet happy guy until about a year ago. Since then, he has become steadily more withdrawn, moody and very mean to everyone, even our grandson and his two dogs that he always loved. He seems to hide inside himself, won't talk unless it's really necessary, keeps buying expensive things for himself and doesn't want to pay bills. I'm at a loss. Could it be diabetes causing this or is our marriage over? When I ask him, he doesn't want to leave and says that I don't get it, but he won't explain what he means.

Answer:

There is an increased risk of depression in people with diabetes. This may be for a variety of reasons. However, I am concerned your husband is depressed and he should see a physician that can help him with this. If you do not know where to start, start with his primary care physician.

Posted to Behavior and Mental Health