Question:

From Dothan, Alabama, USA:

I have neuropathy and am a recent subscriber to the magazine Diabetes Self Management. They said there was a cream to use on the problem that would take care of it. What is this cream and where can I get it?

Answer:

There are reports of the use of the medication known as Zostrix in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy. Specifically, the cream has been used when the problem is painful neuropathy. The medication was originally used to treat pain following shingles from herpes zoster, hence the name. The medication is made with the active ingredient from the chili pepper. It is important to use it sparingly at first because the cream may actually burn the skin if too much is applied. It should be available at most pharmacies as it is a trademarked product.

Posted to Complications and Other