From Mexico City, Mexico:

I have seen a lot of recipes that contain brown sugar and no artificial sweeteners. These recipes come sometimes from the ADA (American Diabetes Association). How does this work? What do I have to consider before using brown sugar in baking? Is this absorbed in a different way? Someone once told me that a considerable amount of fiber helps somehow. What effect does one ounce of brown sugar have on someone's blood sugar?

Adding brown sugar, or for that matter, any kind of sugar, adds carbohydrate to a recipe. A certain amount of sweetener is necessary in most baking recipes, either for browning or for texture in a baked item. I would say small amounts of brown sugar will not increase carbohydrate content significantly in your baked product, but be sure to figure it in. If you can find artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, to use in place of sugars, the carbohydrate content would be reduced. With Splenda, taste usually is not compromised.