Question:

From Greensboro, North Carolina, USA:

A month ago, we put our 22 month old son on an insulin pump. For the first two weeks, everything was great until all of a sudden, his blood sugars started going extremely high even though I was bolusing extra. I would change the site and a few hours later, the same thing would happen. We were using Animas's angled comfort silhouettes. After changing two sites, I noticed that both had a small amount of blood in the canula. We tried inserting a new set (straight in 8 millimeters) which we had on hand and had the same problem. However, with this straight set, his blood sugar numbers have been good despite some blood in the site.

I am getting quite frustrated that no one seems to have ever heard of this happening time after time. I did get a response that the younger the child is, the more surface capillaries there are and to just keep trying different sets until we find one that works for us. They even gave us a needle set which we would have to change every two days instead of three, if the others do not work for us. I'm hoping we don't have to go this route. Have you had any experience with this happening? Do you have any recommendations for us?

Answer:

Where are you placing the sites? You might have more luck doing it more in his buttocks than in his belly. Also, if the basal rates are extremely low (even on an Animas pump), there may not be enough forward pressure to keep things running.

LAD

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Daily Care