From Houston, Texas, USA:

I was diagnosed with diabetes last November. My blood sugar was over 500 mg/dl [27.7 mmol/L] and my A1c was about 13. I took oral Glucovance for about three months, in the morning and at night. I also cut back on carbohydrates and added a little daily exercise. During the first three months, I noticed my after dinner sugar was about 75 to 85 mg/dl [4.2 to 4.7 mmol/L] daily so I stopped the evening dose. Later, I also stopped the morning dose. I still pay attention to what I'm eating, but with no medication, my fasting blood sugar is still in the 75 to 85 mg/dl [4.2 to 4.7 mmol/L] range. I now mainly spot check every few days, but never seem to have blood sugar over 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. My last A1c was under 6. Could this be due to a honeymoon period where the diabetes is controllable with diet and exercise?

Most likely, this is not a honeymoon period as this entity is generally attributable to type 1 diabetes. However, exercise and diet are the backbone of any treatment for diabetes, either type 1 or type 2.

I would still check your glucose daily at different times as you may not even know that it is fluctuating. However, follow-up with your physician and maintenance of your diet and exercise regimen could keep you from needing additional treatment or medication.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Type 2