From Kent, Washington, USA:

My brother was recently diagnosed with diabetes when his chronic alcoholism and heroin drug addiction forced him to go to the Emergency Room. His blood sugar was 540 md/gl [30.0 mmol/L] and he was heading for a diabetic coma. Normally, he feels low at 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L], but my mother says he now feels low at 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] and is not feeling well. He called the 24 hour nurse, the hospital and the pharmacy and all advised him to see a doctor, but they gave no explanation. What could be going on?

I agree that your brother sounds like he is out of control. He should really report to an emergency room and get care as soon as possible. If he is in denial, or is under the influence of his drug addition, he may never get there. You, your family, and his friends may have to see about getting him into a care setting.

Posted to Other and Type 2