From Woodbridge, Virginia, USA:

If there is sudden numbness and tingling in one hand, sudden severe pain in the toes and heels and extremely high levels of protein found in the kidneys, is this considered diabetes? Or, could this be symptoms of lupus, particularly if the person was previously diagnosed with lupus?

The symptoms that you are feeling could be from diabetes, if you have elevated glucoses, but these symptoms are not specific for diabetes. Lupus, thyroid disease and other problems could cause your symptoms.

There are complications associated with lupus and kidney problems that are common. Proteinuria, which you describe, could be one of these. I would not try to determine the cause yourself. I would seek advice from a physician as the treatment is different for these complications depending on the cause.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses